Station House No.1
6 Mint Plaza
Multifamily Residential, Historic Renovations
The Station House building was once part of the historic Hales Brothers Department Store and formerly served as a working firehouse dating back to the days of horse-drawn fire engines.
Located at 6 Mint Plaza, Station House is the renovation of an eight-story and adjacent two-story concrete building into 25 luxury residences – ranging from 750 square foot one bedroom units to a 3,000 square foot, four bedroom penthouse. The buildings, constructed in 1924, most recently served as a San Francisco Fire Department firehouse.
The entry on Mint Plaza curves past a three-story restaurant, Burma Club. Residences are located on the second through ninth floors, and feature open plans with combined kitchens, dining and living rooms. The bedrooms are separated with custom sliding glass partitions which help to reinforce the openness of the space. Station House shares ample amenities with the adjacent buildings, 2 and 10 Mint Plaza, including a beautifully landscaped roof deck with a custom spa and fitness center. A fully-automated, 12-level parking lift–the first deployment of this type of system in San Francisco was built as an addition to the back of the building.
The materials throughout the space blend the historic character of the building with new modern updates. Concrete walls and columns are left exposed in some areas, while others have a plaster finish. The industrial feel of the existing steel sash windows and the exposed concrete are juxtaposed against frameless wood cabinetry, epoxy sealed concrete floors, granite countertops, stainless sinks and soaking tubs.
Brilliantly repurposed for modern living.